Hello world – I’ve made my choice and my choice is to trust God over having to understand. Understanding is a very hard task master and allows no rest, because there is always something more to be understood in order to be safe. It doesn’t work.
Understanding is a modern-day idol that masks itself in its “acceptableness” (yes, I just made up that word) within our society.
This past week a friend of mine lost her husband unexpectedly and suddenly because of a heart attack. As I have witnessed her grief my own heart feels raw from the harshness of the reality she faces. I wish I had answers for her, but I don’t. I can’t explain away her pain and I would not dishonor her grief by trying to do so.
So I am faced with a choice:
- to withdraw and hide from the world in order to protect my heart from grief when things I can’t understand or explain happen to those I love or those who love me or
- to trust that God is Who He says He is and that He is much bigger than my understanding … after all He is infinite
- Our Heavenly Father, has not changed and does not change — He is the same yesterday, today and forever (Heb 13:8)
- Our God is still Merciful, Gracious, Slow to Anger and Abounding in Loving Kindness and Truth (Exodus 34:6)
- Our God is still good and His love endures forever (Ps 107:1)
- Our God’s mercy endures forever (Ps 107:1) and is new every morning (Lam 3:23)
- God still makes the impossible, possible (Mark 10:27)
- Our God is the Only One who can take what the enemy purposed for evil and turn it to His good purpose (Gen 50:20)
- The Holy Spirit is still our Comforter, Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby remaining with us forever (John 14:16)